Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Mousey Continuation

 Dear Someone,
      
         I am overjoyed to tell you about my dear friend Mousey. It starts as all good stories do. I was running late. You know punctuality is something I struggle with. When I came in she was sitting on a pew by herself. I went and sat by her. The faith of that child! To come to church alone at nine years of age. I think it's astonishing. I struggled going alone to church at age Nineteen.  We discussed the plans for her baptism. She asked me to sing. I was touched by her invitation. She originally wanted me to sing Testimony from the hymnbook written by a distant relative. I had a different song in mind. She had ridden the Bus by herself, but it was the missionaries responsibility to make sure she arrived home safely. We went with them to take her. We were invited into the home. The missionaries had us help teach the family a lesson. As we were explaining various scriptures Mousey was then translating for her mother. Initially I felt extremely uncomfortable. We came unannounced in to their home. The family was cold, and reserved. As we taught the tension lessened. I felt unfit to teach, I was even more concerned that could accidentally teach false doctrine. Or doctrine as understood by Miss Fin. After the lesson we stayed and conversed with her family. They then proceeded to feed us. The mother graciously provided us with a meal. I'm not quite sure what I was eating. All I could do was swallow, and remove myself from analyzing was entering my mouth. This became more and more challenging after I chewed on a piece of bone. I was polite. The visit was a success, Mousey's mother gave us permission to take her shopping.  
Time to Shop
            Thursday afternoon we took Mousey shopping. We were on a mission to find her church clothing. Poor Mousey thought that that were going to take her to buy whatever her heart desired. She was disappointed by the constant stream of No. We had different idea's of what going shopping entailed. We changed our approach and tried to make it a more enjoyable experience for her. I of all people should have had more empathy for her. Nagging was an art in my childhood. Mousey was delighted when we found a pretty pink dress.  

            I caught a train in Brighton that was suppose to take me to the Stake Center. I rode three different trains. Not one of them stopped at Wandsworth Commons. (Even though I was reassured that the train would by various workers.) I was alone and distraught. The baptism was schedule for two. It was five after. I tried one more train. Luckily it stopped at the station I needed. I walked out of the station completely flustered. The station was empty. I was without any means of communication. Churches are not as abundant, and obvious as they are at home. Not to mention I had never been to the stake center.  In my desperation to find the building it began to rain. My tears only added to the wet pavement. I said a prayer. I was going to walk, and the Lord needed to get me to the building. I walked and miraculously found the building. It was a quarter after and the missionaries were waiting at the doors. The other women from the center also had not made it. No one who was on the program was at the baptism. Traffic is horrible in London on the weekends. The program participants came an hour later. We then proceeded to have a beautiful service. Mousey was thrilled, her joy was infectious. 
Mousey with the Lovely BYU Ladies
            I am grateful that I was able to be in attendance. It gave me time to reflect about my own baptism. As for a mission for me. I am of the opinion that it would be foolish to close that door. I plan to  live my life in such a way that when the time comes I could serve if it's what the Lord intends.

Cheers!

Miss Fin

No comments:

Post a Comment