Blogging is a tricky business. It's something that one has to maintain. I haven't quite grasped how to be consistent in my letters. I have so many things I wish to write about that I find myself overwhelmed. As a result I put the whole process off. I have every intention of being more consistent. This past week I was visiting the Lake District. It's always refreshing to come back to the center. If you're lucky you have a small stack of letters waiting for you upon arriving home. I'm rather fond of mail. I'm happy to be home, and writing to you. I wouldn't be on Holiday after all if I didn't take a break from the normal hussel and bussel of everyday life. I think it would be simply delightful if we were each required in due time to take a week off. We would be required to use minimal technology. It's not so bad to disconnect ones self from means of communication. I had to leave Sally at home…(I didn't dare brave taking her to a hostile) and I've been with out a phone for ages now. I can honestly say it gives me peace of mind. Anywho I'm sure you are anxious to know of my doings.
We started our adventure up north with a trip to the Moor. When I heard we were going to the Moor my thoughts immediately raced to The Secret Garden. Believe it or not the Moor was not the main attraction. Our professors took us to see the Bronte home. (Which was lovely) I was eager, anxious and excited to explore the Moor! Who would have thought that fields of heather could incite me so?
| Miss Fin in the Moor! |
MARY:
Is it always so ugly here?
Is it always so ugly here?
MRS. MEDLOCK:
It's the moor. Miles and miles
of wild land that nothing grows
on but heather and gorse and broom,
and nothing lives on but wild
ponies and sheep.
It's the moor. Miles and miles
of wild land that nothing grows
on but heather and gorse and broom,
and nothing lives on but wild
ponies and sheep.
MARY:
What is that awful howling sound?
What is that awful howling sound?
MRS. MEDLOCK:
That's the wind blowing through the bushes
they call it wuthering that sound
but look there that tiny light
far across there
that'll be the gate it will.
That's the wind blowing through the bushes
they call it wuthering that sound
but look there that tiny light
far across there
that'll be the gate it will.
Later that night we arrived in York. I was able to stay in my first hostel. I immediately checked for bed bugs, in fact I became the bed bug inspector for everyone in my room. Hostels have rather sketchy food. They lost me at blood pudding. Correction. The food was horrid. However I am learning how to swallow quickly leaving little room to think about the repulsive textures in my mouth. I had to ignore the filth. Fin's could be considered food snobs. We are foodies. I found myself wearing rose-colored glasses. When in good company it is easy to overlook the grunge. I really do enjoy the company of my roommates. To some degree I can relate to my sisters who shared a room for most of their childhood. I love our late night discussions, in spite of my tendency to fall asleep mid conversation. I'm much closer to these women than I ever anticipated being.
| Our Room |
First Hostel Extravaganza |
We spent the day in York exploring museums, and meandering in shops. It is said that in the Shambles the buildings lean so closely together that neighbors could shake hands from the across the lane. The Shambles are laden with eclectic little shops. During our travels we took a few moments to honor the Vikings. My favorite exhibit was in the York Castle Museum. The exhibit was about being a Mother in the Victorian era. It brought up a fascinating detail that I haven't ever thought about. When expecting a child women would prepare their homes with a charming nursery while simultaneously planning their own funeral arrangements. Complications with childbirth made this preparation a necessity. Remarkable. I am very grateful for modern medicine.
| The Shambles |
After a little shopping in the shambles we embarked on a Yorkshire ghost tour. I do not do scary. Never have, and never will. Ask me if I've been to a haunted house. Most certainly not. I would prefer to avoid those situations completely. I am the child who cried on Disney’s Haunted mansion. My tears won the sympathy of a worker earning me a pumpkin flashlight. It's beyond me why I would pay to be in a situation that makes me feel scared, and more importantly uncomfortable. If a gentlemen really wants to hold my hand he can go about it an a different way than inviting me to watch scary movies, or embark on scary activities. I wouldn't even go to these attractions with my best friend, ironic a group of girls could get me to go. The ghost tour was rather entertaining. Not entertaining enough to change my opinion pertaining to scary things.
| Ghost Tour Man |
| Standing on the Edge of the Holy Roman Empire |
| Preston Temple |
Cheers!
Miss Fin
Not boring in the least, my dear! I am so jealous that you have been to the Lake District. It sounds dreamy to me.
ReplyDelete