Sunday, September 26, 2010

Home

  Dear Someone, 

         What a wonderful thing to be home. Home sitting in my desk. Home watching the people of London pass outside my six-pane window. In the case of some people, home is a variable concept, which can change depending on the placement of another person or object. What an interesting feeling to becoming home to London. Paris was a rather interesting experience. Unfortunately I am pressed for time. I will have to write you about that adventure later. I find myself wanting to write to you when I really should be writing papers, finishing journals, or reading for class. This week I have my first set of tests. 
Each week we have 2 field trips, a London study and a day trip. Before we went to Paris we went to Bodiam Castle, Rudyard Kipling's estate, and Virgina Woolf's home. Allowing for an escape from the city. I am rather enchanted by the countryside. We are going to read Mrs. Dalloway, and Jacobs Room later in the semester for my Great War and Modernism class. I felt extremely unprepared walking into this significant literary figures home knowing very little about her, and even less pertaining to her classic works. I imagined viewing the estate through my dear sisters eyes. I would like to think that someday her writing desk like Woolf’s will be on display. 
           Each of these authors shared something in common, beautiful gardens. A garden in which the pensive mind can unwind. I’m not partial to roses. In fact I could do without them all together. I would much rather get a bouquet of fresh flowers than a dozen roses. Buttercups, iris, crocus, and Lilly of the valley have greater appeal. It is undeniably true, that the world feels magical when a flower carries a secret message. A message that when deciphered tells you just how much you are truly loved. Roses are too cliché for me. Kipling designed an intricate rose garden. I have never fully appreciated the beauty of rose until I strolled down the row of ruby red roses. Sweet subtle perfume embraced me. I think I would like to have a rose garden someday. Perhaps I was too rash to discount the loveliness of a rose.
               Oh the adventures in London. The weather is quickly changing from summer to winter. I best  invest in some stockings. Along with the Autumn chill I find myself with a wretched cold. The Emergen-C packets I brought with me could be sold at 2 pounds per packet. Plague has found it's way to the center. I requested that we set a dormitory aside for those of us who are infected. (A cough, and sniffle colony) Needless to say they didn't like my idea. I think I'll go nestle up with Northanger Abbey and prepare my debate for class tomorrow.


Cheers!
Miss Fin


P.S. This is Bodiam Castle. The only Castle left in England with a moat.... that has alligators.  :)   


Castle Number 2!

The Watch Tower
(notice the BEAUTIFUL countryside?)






No comments:

Post a Comment