Dear Someone,
I had a simply delightful weekend. Some of my dear friends have family in England. Before I came abroad we talked about the possibility of spending time with their relatives. Coincidentally I have watched the children from this sweet family when they have come to spend their holiday in Utah. Being in the home atmosphere remedied my longings to be home. It was just like my regular weekend routine at home. Which all to often consists of playing with little children, and eating far too many sweets.
Two of my peers came along with me for the weekend. We went to the Schwartz home to celebrate bonfire night with them. Friday night we found ourselves caught in a rainstorm. Instead of venturing out in the rain, we enjoyed a Friday night movie night. We all piled on the couch and watched Enchanted. The girls knew every word. So essentially we had a brilliant sing a long. Mrs. Schwartz took such excellent care of me. I felt immensely loved. I was overwhelmed by the impact of this dear families influence in life. Time after time they have gone out of their way to support me. To the point where their siblings even take such wonderful care of me. I am grateful for the sense of community I feel at home. I am very grateful that, that sense of community extends across the world. Mrs. Schwartz made us pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, and chatted with us into the wee hours of the morning. Good food, good company, and excellent conversation make for a very happy, and satisfied young woman.
Bonfire night is a spectacular occasion in England. You could compare it to the fourth of July. Rather than shorts and t-shirts we were bundled in our warm winter clothes. The girls recited this poem to teach us about the origins bonfire night. (It is also known as Guy Fawkes Day)
Remember, remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason, why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason, why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.
Guy Fawkes, guy, t'was his intent
To blow up king and parliament.
Three score barrels were laid below
To prove old England's overthrow.
By God's mercy he was catch'd
With a darkened lantern and burning match.
So, holler boys, holler boys, Let the bells ring.
Holler boys, holler boys, God save the king.
And what shall we do with him?
Burn him!
To blow up king and parliament.
Three score barrels were laid below
To prove old England's overthrow.
By God's mercy he was catch'd
With a darkened lantern and burning match.
So, holler boys, holler boys, Let the bells ring.
Holler boys, holler boys, God save the king.
And what shall we do with him?
Burn him!
We went out into the country and enjoyed a private firework show. The fireworks put our street fireworks to shame. We enjoyed a firework show equal to the grandeur of the Sugar House fireworks, from the convenience of thirty feet away. Not to mention with virtually no crowd. We sipped our Cadbury hot chocolate as we oohed, and awed at the brilliance of the colors illuminating the night sky. We enjoyed a lovely night. I am looking forward to keeping in touch with this dear family.
Cheers!
Miss Fin
Sounds like a perfect weekend!
ReplyDelete