Dear Someone,
Thursday I was a homeless woman. I was bundled within eight layers of clothing three of which were coats. With my cardboard box for a mattress I slept on the streets of London. Yes I legitimately looked homeless. Why you may ask? I have one response for you; I am a devout Harry Potter fan. At 2:45 am twenty of my peers left the center. We set out to claim our spot for the Harry Potter World Premiere.
| Homeless. Very Attractive, I know |
As a general rule of thumb I do not retain heat very well. It was beyond cold. I found it quite hysterical that I was wearing more layers than I wore snowmobiling up at Bear Lake last year. My body was shaking from the cold. I am sure I looked as if I was convulsing. It was rather ridiculous. After sitting through three torrential down pores I was not only a homeless woman. I was a cold, soggy, tired, homeless woman. I then began to think about the consequences for sitting in the rain. Taking my luck into consideration my meager immune system would leave me defenseless enabling me to catch pneumonia, that or the black plague for that matter. However two glorious star struck hours of my eighteen-hour adventure made the cold worth it.
Our plan was to make a statement. We would be seen by the cameras and loved by the reporters. To gain the attention of the cameras we would have to be obnoxious American fans. We decided that we would dress as Dementors. Our chant was, “Were here to Kiss Potter.” In the kitchen the previous night we imagined how ominous a crowd of women dresses in black hoods would look. Most of our posters were centered on this theme of kissing potter.
| Garbage bag cloaks |
We were actually quite fortunate to be situated right next to the red carpet. More importantly we were next to the interviewing stage. Edith Bowan was the interviewer on our side. She was very helpful. Once she knew who was coming on to her stage she would give us a hint so that we could be positioned with our camera’s. She gave her American girls three shout outs through out the interviews. It was serial to be feet away from the stars. We had everyone except J.K. interviewed on our side. Daniel Radcliffe thanked the American girls for braving the tedious weather conditions. If you follow this link you can see my moment of fame. (Around 1:08 on the clip.) It is the one time I can honestly say I am so grateful for my height. Normally being an Amazon woman impedes with just about everything. I would like you to try being taller than 80 percent of your dates. At any rate my height was certainly to my advantage.
It was thrilling to see the cast. Not to down play my excitement. Realistically these actors can never take prescience over the characters conjured in my imagination. My heart skipped a beat when the announcers proclaimed the arrival of J.K. Rowling. More than anyone else on the red carpet, I was grateful for that woman. For whatever it’s worth Harry Potter opened my imagination. It enabled me to engage in reading. I remember starting the books with my mom. I had the flu. So to pass the time away my mother dear decided she would read out loud to me. I love the connection that we share with this series.
Delightful. It truly was simply delightful to see the woman I have dreamed of meeting for more than half of my life. As a young girl I would write draft letters to her. I wanted nothing more than to meet the woman who helped me to become a reader. I dreamed that my story of falling in love with her novels would soften her heart, and would enable me a pass to meet her. Though my letters were never sent, I can say I am thoroughly satisfied. It was delightful just to see her. J.K. Rowling set the foundation for the other wonderful books I would read. I am grateful for reading and the impact it has had in my life, and the impact it continues to have. Nothing is more magical than the impact of an excellent book.
Cheers!

A great adventure that I'm sure you'll be telling your own little kiddies about someday when they are old enough to read Harry Potter!
ReplyDeleteAwesome seeing you jumping in the background. Did you see the movie then? Can't wait to hear.
ReplyDeleteI actually didn't get to see the movie. It will be released here on the 19th. The only reason I get to see it before the lovely people at home is due to the time difference. :)
ReplyDelete