Sunday, November 7, 2010

Tea

Dear Someone,

This past Sunday we had the pleasure of having a guest fireside speaker from Oxford University. The Principal of the Harris Manchester College gave a riveting lecture. He outlined traits that contribute to being an effected leader. He was pleased with us, and as a result invited us to join him in Oxford for tea.
 I am not sure if I told you about our schedule. Generally this is how a week in the life of Miss Fin is executed. Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday I have classes from nine to about noon. Wednesdays are set aside for day trips. On those days some of the trips include Stonehenge, Austin’s home, Dover, Stratford-apon-Avon. Essentially places that I have neglected to write you to about. (Not out of dissatisfaction, or ungratefulness merely for the sake of time.) That leaves Friday for London study. This week for example we are going to Parliament. The fact of the matter is we see so much, and I have so very little time to tell you of all my travels. Anywho, this past Wednesday we set out for Oxford. On our way we visited the graves of Winston Churchill, and C.S. Lewis. It was shocking to me that a majority of my peers have never read the chronicles of Narnia. All I can say is what a shame, what a shame.
 We visited a wonderful great house, Blenheim Palace. The architectural design is set to resemble Versailles. It was created to be England’s own Versailles. It is a lovely example of Baroque architecture. I was highly entertained by the paintings of the eye outside of the main entrance. It reminded me of Zelda. Eye marks perfect for the hook shot... or for a bow and arrow to open a locked door. A. Fin would have agreed with me. The girls were bewildered at my Zelda reference. You can send me away to England to become a more refined young woman, but I am still going to indulge in playing video games...That is when time permits.
I spy with my little eye





            We were left to explore Oxford for a few hours. I am embarrassed to talk about what we sought out to find initially. For it will only affirm which generation I belong to. So I think it’s best to just embrace it. I am apart of the Harry Potter generation. We were thrilled to go to the dinning hall in which the Great Hall from Harry Potter was filmed. We had some pretty epic duels. Do not fret; we saw more of Oxford than just Christ’s Church. We climbed St. Mary’s and enjoyed a lovely view of Oxford. As we were about to climb we can into some ladies. They told us that it would take us around thirty minutes to get to the top. Little did they know…we are rather good at climbing stairs. It was nice to reach the top and not be winded. 
           Tea. Tea in Oxford, the event I have been so anxious to tell you about. I was enchanted by the prospects of a tea party, and I personally am rather fond of herbal tea. We entered the room and found platters with various types of sandwiches. To my delight there were sandwiches with cucumbers. How perfect, could I ask for anything more quintessential for a tea party? Now there were a few varieties of sandwiches. I knew the cucumbers were safe. I should have just been content. Nevertheless I spied what seemed to be a tomato sandwich. It made perfect sense to me. Egg, cucumber, and tomato sandwiches what a lovely combination. I could avoid the eggs and enjoy quaint vegetable sandwiches. I was wrong, so very wrong. It was not a tomato to my chagrin. It was fish. You know how much I detest fish. Considering where I live I have been good about eating fish and chips. In my defense fish should not resemble a tomato. How impolite of me to not eat what was on my plate. Oh well. I could not bring myself to eat it. No amount of guilt could shame me into eating the fish. It was not a tomato, and I could not fool myself in thinking that it was one. So the fish sandwich remained uneaten. 
Looks Questionable to Me

 All in all Oxford was delightful. I am still very grateful that we were invited to tea. The cucumber sandwiches after all were scrumptious. One more fish killed for my sake only to be tossed in the rubbish bin. It is what it is. I hope all is well on your side of the pond!



Cheers!

Miss Fin

3 comments:

  1. looks like smoked salmon to me! i would have warned you.

    i really love the twinings tea in england- especially black currant (which is much harder to find in some parts of our country).

    i hope you're also exploring gourmet cheese. now is the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fish and chips are about as fishy as I get here. Luckily the fish doesn't taste very fishy. I think It's more my mentality about it. Sometimes at dinner we have various cheese platters. You are right though I should be trying more cheese!

    ReplyDelete